- Brief description: Includes news articles from many different publications, newspapers, and magazines rewritten at five different reading levels. Includes vocabulary and comprehension quizzes and writing assignments. Students can be given assignments online.
- Proxy Hour Equivalent (can only be obtained from paid version)
- 15 minutes (.25 hrs) for readings with Lexile levels below 800 (i.e.799 and below);
- 30 minutes (.5 hrs) for readings with Lexile levels of 800 or above
Criteria for awarding Proxy Hour Equivalent: Completed reading and quiz (either online or printed PDF); verified by teacher/staff in student data. Here's a Reporting How-to Screencast.
Here's their Getting Started page for teachers: https://support.newsela.com/category/getting-started/
CASAS reading scores from 220-235 (ELL levels 4-6) recommended.
- Web-based: Yes
- Available on tablets/smart phones: Yes
- Access: There is a free version and a premium paid version. You may have to contact them or pricing: https://newsela.com/about/solutions/compare/
Greater than 246
There is a free version and a premium paid version.